Monday 23 October 2017

Whale Sharks


Oslob is famous for its whale sharks!

When I had visited Kris the year before diving with these incredible creatures was the only thing that I insisted I did before I left the country and I hadn't been disappointed. 

With my ears still playing up slightly it was decided that Peter and Kris would go for a dive with the Whale sharks while I joined one of the snorkelling groups and watched them from above.

Whale sharks are early risers meaning we had to be ready even earlier!!! 

By 7am we were not only up and dressed but had also completed the half hour journey to the Feeding station a few miles from the resort.

Equipment was organised, the Do's and Don't's video was watched and as Peter, Kris and their guide headed down the beach to wade into the awaiting water, I joined one of the many groups heading over to the tiny dug outs that were lined up along the shore ready for the paddle out into deeper water.

The first time you see a whale shark, even a juvenile like these, your heart skips a beat.

Despite all your training in diving NOT to hold your breath, you find you have done just that and it is only when you begin to rise in the water due to the buoyancy of your filled lungs, do you suddenly realise what you are doing and slowly release a long steady breath. 

30 foot of shark swimming above you is awesome!!

Peter began to spin as he looked around and around at the sharks heading in from different directions until he became quite disorientated and even a little dizzy.

I in the meantime had entered the water, along with a few others, just as a feeding whale shark cruised by!!

Seeing these amazing creatures this close was as breath taking as my dive with them the year before. 

A tiny eye slipped past, totally out of proportion with the immense body behind.

As I floated there trying not to move the sharks came closer and closer until at one point one actually rose beside me. 

One of the cardinal rules of the Whale shark experience is DO NOT TOUCH THE SHARKS!!!!

You can be fined a ridiculous amount if you break this rule and I totally agree with their policy but when that shark rose beside me I froze, 

my legs stopped finning, my arms went out for stability and He touched me!!

For the briefest of seconds my hand caressed the side of his body as he slide past and then he was gone!

I attempted to dive down deeper, testing my ears as I went. 

The pressure was uncomfortable but not unbearable as again and again I dove down to swim with these amazing creatures.

With Kris and Peter on the sea bed looking up and me floating around looking down I think we covered every angle of these beautiful creatures as they fed.

Too soon it was time to end our experience and head back to dry land. 

The Sharks only stay for about an hour or so then they too naturally drift away until they return the next day.

We dried off and dressed before heading to the far end of the bay to the collection of food stalls for breakfast. 

While the boys ate, I headed to the beach 10 metres away to collect some more of the sun bleached coral that is washed up daily to form a huge pile that basically makes up the shore. 

I had collected various pieces the year before and made them into necklaces to sell at the festivals but with only one necklace left of the 10 I had made, a restock was required.


Our afternoon was spend chilling at the bar and in the pool and of course discussing our fabulous trip out that morning.

As night fell we realised that in the morning we needed to head back to Cebu. 

I still had another 4 days in the Philippines but Peter had a plane to catch home the next afternoon. 

Our time with Vicky and Chris had been amazing, not only was the resort incredible but their hospitality to us had been unlimited.

We had stayed in the finest of rooms, eaten freshly bought and prepared food every day, been on trips with expert guides and of course played cards with copious amounts of beer!

I can seriously recommend the Granada Resort to anyone wanting the perfect place to stay near the Whale sharks!!

Back in Cebu we dropped Peter at the airport and headed back to Kris's apartment. 

I unpacked my things to their home back under the TV stand and looked at my settee with happiness! 

It may not be much but it was home!!


I actually managed the entire walk to the Shangrila the next day, enjoying as I went all the smells of food being cooked, mixed with diesel fumes, garbage, wildlife and life. 

Asia has a smell of its own and although each place is different the base smell that under lies every town is the same.

At the dive centre there had been reports of fish traps being spotted within the exclusion zone that is registered with the government to protect the reef. 

The diver who had seen them had been on a fun dive and as he had none experienced customers to look after, hadn't been able to investigate further but as soon as he was free we returned to the water to search for them.

I joined the dive to see how my ears were and was pleased when I got down to 12 m without any problems. 

When the traps were eventually found I stayed on the sea bed having deployed a surface marker bouy while Nic surfaced to check our location.

From our position on the sea bed the traps looked like they were inside the Shangri la reserve but when Nic surfaced he realised that 'legally', they were just outside.

We took photos to make an official report and surfaced. My last dive of the trip was over.

It was only when I was taking my equipment off back at the jetty I realised I had placed my side mounts the wrong way round!! 

As I entered the water I had asked for my right cylinder and been handed my right cylinder but in my eagerness to attach it plus my inability to tell my left from my right, I had placed it on the left hand side. 

When the left cylinder was passed down I of course just placed it on the opposite side!! 

This in turn had made the hoses face out instead of in. 

No wonder I had felt as though things were a bit skewif!

Nic didn't dive with side mounts and had presumed I knew what I was doing and to be fair I did, I just did it with the cylinders in opposing positions!!

With my final dive done it was time to settle my bill and place all my remaining beers onto Kris's tab!


My time in the Philippines was over.

We had done the usual drinking, eating, diving

but this time Peter had been able to share some of it with me.

I caught a jipnee to the Shangri la on my final morning with my back pack filled to bursting point. 

From there, leaving the crew hard at work I went directly to the airport in the afternoon.

I was now getting to be an old hand at flying in and out of Cebu Airport alone!!







Next stop Singapore!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is WONDERFUL! i've been 'just missing' the whale sharks since 2010 on nearly every dive trip (or so it seems). We were lucky to catch the giant mantas this year, but no whale sharks just yet! i vow to keep trying! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google Search Oslob Philippines, the juveniles turned up there years ago making a pest of themselves but then the locals realised the tourists loved them and so they have turned a natural occurrence into something not only amazing but also educational. As far as I am aware they are there all the year round ...guaranteed sightings ever time!! How far is the Philippines from you, lol ????

    ReplyDelete