Sunday 24 November 2019

From Long hair to Short hair in Singapore




Having packed up the house, the Cave and my life in the UK for the winter, I took all my hard earned money out of the bank and arrived in Singapore on September the 7th 2018 with bright blue hair that hung to my waist .

Grandchild No1 was thrilled to see me still with my trademark blue hair, Grandchild No2 held up yellow bricks for me to admire!

As this was to be the last time I would have long hair for a while, experiments were done before the big cut!

It was braided ….. And after years of wondering what it would be like ...... I decided I didn't like it braided so .....

... It was unbraided.

.......which actually took longer than braiding it up!!
Then once the styling, de-dreading and experiments ended we moved onto the actual cutting of the hair.

Rather than go for the drastic all off look we opted for the gradual removal allowing my daughter to practice her (until then non existent) hair cutting skills.

Every few days my daughter would cut a few more inches off as Granddaughter No.1 looked on approvingly.

Little sister, being only one year old was oblivious to everything except her new Poo Bear and Tigger toys. 

To her life was good no matter how much hair Grannie had!

The weather however was its usual September Singapore sun in the morning and dramatic storms in the afternoon.

But now Grannie was there to make and play!!I


(Giving daughter Mommy a well earned hour or so break)

Boxes and tubes were pulled from the recycling box. 

Masking tape was bought between the storms.

Recycled newspapers were collected from the recycling area and once mixed with the flour water glue were layered on.

More and more layers were added to the walls, gates and turrets.

A whole week passed as we waited for the glue to dry out enough for the painting to start.

Until with a final coat of paint, a few hours with a marker pen to add details to the walls, a fairy castle was born!!

I do so love making things!!!
Once again I was lucky enough to be present for the first steps of my grand child just before her first birthday.

Furniture walking was abandoned as we discovered we could walk straight across the room!!

With the Castle finished Birthday Party decorations took over our time as Grandchild No1 painted her sisters Birthday Banner.

Unfortunately the attention span of a 3 year old is not that long and four letters in she abandoned the project to go play with the new castle.

Grannie however has the attention span of an elephant and one by one the letters were finished.

Each letter becoming themed as I worked my way through them.

D is for day

A is for Apple Tree

Y is for Yacht

H is for Hotel/Castle? 

(My friend lives in a castle that she runs as a hotel …. honest!!)


The only problem with first Birthdays is that the Birthday child doesn’t really know it is all about them!

and while Grandchild No 2 was distracted elsewhere …


........Grandchild No 1 was there to lend a hand with the candle blowing as were a few of her friends.

In fact Grandchild No 1 had an amazing time with her friends!

And as Grandchild No 1 was presently studying volcanoes it was she who had chosen the theme for her sisters Birthday party.

The joy she had repeatingly blowing out the flaming volcano Birthday cake followed by bicarbonate and vinegar experiments with her big volcano was wonderful to share!!

Even if her sister was in bed for her afternoon nap through most of it!!

By the end of the month my hair had reached my shoulders. 

Just long enough to tie back in a ponytail but definitely shorter than when I had arrived.

My daughter refused to shave it all off as I had originally planned wanting to leave the signature blue in place. 

How could I write Blue haired lady stories if I didn't have Blue Hair Grand daughter No 1 pointed out.

Grand daughter No 2 was still more interested in her toes than my hair and so on October 1st I packed my bags plus my 7kg sewing machine that was stored in Singapore and headed to India!

A new life and a new look was about to begin and a sewing machine was going to prove very useful indeed!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the new cut - i miss having long hair. Still trying to grow mine back, but it seems stuck at shoulder level. i like having enough to pull a pony tail, or tuck through the back of a baseball cap when riding a bike...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol you should see it now!! Just written about the garden I created in India, now writing about THE hair cut in December 2018!! Liberating!!!

    ReplyDelete