Friday 20 August 2010

Vietnam

The days pass in Vietnam and a sort of routine begins. The sun is bright in the sky by 6am, so an early morning rise feels natural. The day begins with a slow yoga routine to stretch out my stiffened, ageing body, after three days I can now nearly touch my toes without my back protesting! This is followed by my prayers to Krsna, my room smells divine with all the incense burning, before a slow pleasant stroll around the block to boost the circulation. A quick check on the internet for any morning mail, a piece or two of fruit and the day is ready to begin.

Day one was a recovery day, a day spent lounging and sleeping in the bed or sitting peacefully on the balcony of Blue House.


Day two was a snorkelling and tan topping day in water of 30 degrees. Lunch was had on the dive boat with Kris and Steph, the evening was spent at Guava's, eating, drinking, chatting, playing pool and enjoying the Tuesday Night Quiz..

Day three was a day of thunder storms. I had planned a morning visit to the train station to check the train times, but half way there the thunderstorm, that I though had finished, returned! I took shelter under a shop awning, the concerned owner providing me with a chair and a sympathetic smile. I sat for a good twenty minutes watching the world go by, covered best they could, in brightly coloured and very wet ponchos. Large sprays of water were thrown up by the small motor bikes as the road slowly, but defiantly, flooded in the continuous, torrential onslaught. Lightening flashed over head, God poured out another huge bucket of water, the shopkeeper patted my shoulder and smiled.

When the drops eased for a moment, I enthusiastically thanked my shop saviour, made a retreat to my room and rechecked the internet before having a snooze!

Train Station visit Mark-2, followed at lunch time. This time the mission was accomplished without precipitation and I disappeared into the back streets in search of more breakfast fruits. Nha Trang is built on a huge grid so getting lost is not as easy as it is in other cities. The small back alleys eventually come out onto roads, all the roads eventually intercept each other, well that is the theory and yesterday it worked. I returned home fully laden and wishing I had taken the camera.

That afternoon the internet went off, a blip of the storm? Yet I was content to sit and write, and read, and listen to the familiar patter of rain on the roof-tops. I left Wales to get away from the rain! At least out here the rain is warm. Out on the balcony it is dry, a refreshing breeze cooled the air and with that much water falling, the mosquitoes were nowhere to be seen!

Today I strolled to the beach for my morning walk, did a little extra yoga and swam in warm water. I returned and rested from this huge exertion, showered and this time, armed with the camera, tried to retrace my steps from yesterday.

I got lost at the first junction! Had I gone left, or across?

I went left and soon ended up in unfamiliar territory.

Tiny shops lined the streets. Tiny shops that were full of many things.



Tiny shops full of big things. Tiny shops that really shouldn't be able to do what they did!



Those who had no shops, sat out on the street, under trees, under awnings, under umbrellas.






All smiled as I passed.
All continued with their day uninterrupted.

At a junction I spotted the market, a place I had failed to find yesterday.


I entered the covered enclosure, noting the large rat that ran past my leg and under the table in front of me. The fish counters were empty and for that I was grateful. The smell in the enclosed space was strong, not totally unpleasant, but defiantly strong.

I walked towards the huts displaying their bowls of rice on the outskirts.

Tiny stalls, complete with a tiny attendant, surrounded by big bowls.

People stopped to look at me as I looked at them. They nodded when I asked if I could take their photos, broad smiles appearing when I thanked them in Vietnamese!

The sun grew incredibly hot as the morning progressed, driving me into any shade I could find as I walked. I returned, happy, to the coolness of my balcony and got the laptop out.



This is now my life, no rush, no hassle, healthy food, happy people and warm, warm air. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment