Wednesday 8 May 2013

Fiji Time!

Off to Fiji

Peter, the children and I arrived back from our Adventures in India to the wonderful news that Lisa, my daughter was getting married to Steve on her Birthday in July! Lisa picked us up from the airport grinning from ear to ear and our first night back on UK soil was spent at their house catching up on all the news!

Early the next day Peter and the children caught a train home to Wales while I spent four happy days planning and relaxing in her company in Southampton. Most of the planning was well under-way and I had little to do. We spent an afternoon designing table decorations and deciding on fabric for the table cloths, I wrote my list of Mother's Jobs, called a few friends for advice and aid and bought my dress!

The days flew by and all too soon it was time for me to return to the airport for the next part of my 2013 Adventure, a trip to Fiji!!

Kris left his job in Cyprus in October 2012 and travelled off to the Pacific to take up a post as Dive Manager in one of the most exquisite areas of the Coral Coast in Fiji. He planned to return to Cyprus in June of this year but before he left Fiji some serious Mother/Son bonding was due in the sun-drenched resort of Mango Bay.

Add caption
At Heathrow I boarded the first of the four flights that would take me half way around the world, I landed in Dubia only to fly out an hour later on a plane bound to Sydney.

My flights were blessed once more with an empty seat between me and a lovely lady called Karen who was off to visit her niece in Australia. We raised the centre arms between us and stretched out for a few hours of relaxing sleep.

In Australia Karen and I said our goodbyes as I headed for the Transfer Lounge and the final plane in my 36 hour journey.

I arrived in Nandi remarkably refreshed and awake which was just as well as I now had a 3 hour bus journey ahead of me to get to Mango Bay.

The bus luckily calls at the airport as part of its route along the main road that circumnavigated the entire Island.

My bag was stored beneath my feet, my laptop bag settled upon my lap as the long journey began. Bus journeys that take hours seem to be quite common on the Island and a huge TV screen entertained the customers with films, music videos and wrestling! I started the journey by looking out of the window at the passing greenery but soon became engrossed in the war film that was playing along with the rest of the bus.

We stopped for 20 minutes in Sigatoka to allow people to refresh and stretch their legs.

A lively market selling fresh produce lay beside the bus stop, small wheeled stalls sold Indian samosas and sweets while up on the hill, overlooking the town was a huge Radha Krsna Temple and restaurant!

I walked around the bus, not wishing to go too far in the heat of the day, I was still dressed in my warm travel clothes, much needed in the air-conditioned coolness of the bus.

Outside temperatures, however, left me perspiring under the layers and I quickly returned to the cold air inside the bus as new people began to climb aboard. We settled to watch a new film as the bus began its long route to Suva on the far coast.

I had luckily asked the bus to tell me when we got to Mango Bay as I had no idea where it was. When the bus stopped the conductor looked around having remembered they had to stop but having forgotten who was getting off. I was totally engrossed in the TV and he had to call twice before I realised he was looking for me!

I disembarked from the air-conditioned coldness into the heat of the day to look around me as the bus roared away up the hill.

Mountains stretched away to my right, their rich greenery in stark contrast to the clear blue sky. The heat haze blurred my photos but to the eye it was breathtaking.

To my left the hills undulated toward the distant sea.

A lady standing by the side of the road smiled broadly at me, I smiled back.
“Bula” she called as I walked towards her. “Hello” I smiled, “Is this Mango Bay?” I queried.
“Why Yes” she beamed. I explained who I was and received an even bigger smile (if that were possible on this happy face) she welcomed me with hand shakes, explaining she knew Kris well and worked in Mango Bay.

She went on to explain how I could get to the resort and gave me so much information and warmth that already I felt at home.

I crossed the road as she set off home and phoned Kris.

Within 2 minutes he was beside me wrapping his huge arms around me and shouldering my bag. Dannys Jeep had been borrowed to take me down the 1km driveway to the resort gates where I was quickly introduced to Pate Head of Security.

More beaming smiles and more warm welcomes followed me as Kris introduced me to person after person on the way in.


I stopped briefly to meet Danny and Elizabeth (photos to come) who are in charge of the whole resort and was once more overwhelmed by the warm welcome I received.

It was now 3.30pm, 45 hours had passed since I had left Lisa's house and I was in serious need of a wash! Kris took me to what was to be my home for the next 4 weeks, his Jungle Cabin!

Accommodation is provided as part of his wages and Kris had lived in his spacious hut for 8 months undisturbed by guests let alone his mother.

I steeled myself for the chaos that usually surrounds my son and was pleasantly surprised when he opened the door.

A large double bed surrounded by an even larger draped mosquito net stood to one side, clean sheets hung down to the floor, a folded towel lay at the end.

Clothes were hung along a strong metal wire that held the net, while two deck chairs stood along the opposite wall. Behind the deck chairs stood a single bed, again with clean sheets and behind this was a door (admittedly at a strange angle) that led to the huge bathroom. The wooden floor was clear, the TV hid a huge pile of wires, fins and wet suits lay stacked neatly under the single bed yet the place was clean and tidy.

Having seen how Kris had lived in Vietnam and again when he had been in Cyprus this amount of neatness was true luxury!

He offered me the double bed with its net but I pulled my large Indian net from my travel bag and took the single bed as my own. I unpacked and hung my belongings, showered quickly while Kris went to sort a few things and changed into Island clothes.

I had just arranged my belongings, (noting that a spot of lime scale remover wouldn't go amiss in the bathroom) when Kris returned eager to begin my tour of the resort.

Mango Bay lies in a hidden away bay between two high hills and reminds me very much of the Hibiscus in Moorea.

Tall coconut trees surround and intersperse a lush green lawn around which 10 Jungle cabins lie a little way back from the beach.

Their palm thatched roofs and soft brown paintwork helps them to blend into the greenery while plants, fruit trees and hibiscus bushes soften the paths that lie between.

Ten Beach cabins lie along the beach at the edge of the lagoon. Each has an uninterrupted view of the sea with bushes and trees once more giving privacy and colour.

At the far side of the lawn area lie three dorms for travellers on a budget or those seeking company while travelling alone.

Our first stop however was the Restaurant and Bar where, during a cyclone that had seen everyone else running around trying to save buildings and furniture while dodging flying coconuts and trees, Kris and I had drunk ourselves into a blurry mess over the course of 5 hours via Skype on the anniversary of Trish's birthday back in December.

The restaurant, kitchens, bar and, off to one side, a disco/entertainment area all lie within an open burre with an incredible roof.

The far side opens out to the pool area and 30m beyond that lies the lagoon with its crystal waters and golden sands.

Trees sway in the breeze, waves lap gently at the shore, birds wade in the shallows and fish come right to the edge in search of food thrown by the guests.

Kris introduced me to the staff, giving names to faces that unfortunately rapidly became lost in the maze of my mind.

The dive shop was explored (while I made a mental note that a good sweeping would be needed in the morning,) and then it was back to the bar for Happy Hour as the sun set over the lagoon only a stones throw from where I sat. A second round of introductions began this time to the guests as they filed to the bar to start their evening of entertainment.

The clientèle that I met that evening were predominately young female travellers who welcomed me unreservedly into their ranks despite my being a lot older than they. I was introduced to Fiji Gold, a slightly heavier version of Kingfisher as Danny and Elizabeth joined Kris and I at the end of the bar, I played Killer Pool, ate salad and Russian Potatoes, I talked and smiled, I laughed and listened and managed to stay awake until past 10pm!!!

I retired to bed that evening, having received detailed directions on how to find my way back to the cabin from Kris and having navigated my way past all the cane toads that sat upon the large lawn, happy and content. It had been a long journey but I was here. Tomorrow I would explore at my own pace, put names to faces in an orderly manner, discover what delights the resort had to offer and pop to the shop for some wash powder, lime scale remover and a few pegs! Kris however had other plans for my day!


I awoke to discover there was a boat trip organised for the guests that took them to an Island 45 minutes out to sea and I was booked upon it!





No comments:

Post a Comment