Tuesday 27 March 2018

Leaving Singapore 2018


With my time in Singapore nearly over it was at last time to pack my bags. During my four months in the country I had acquired a far amount of stuff plus I also had all the things I had left with Lisa back in April.

I looked at the the pile and my small backpack.

'Houston, We have a problem!!'

I began to run ideas through my head. I could get a box, leave some behind, post it home but with no decision actually made, I went for my usual morning walk to check out the recycling/bin areas of each block.

The universe is an amazing thing and by the third block I had found an incredible solid huge suitcase!!

The extendable handle was a bit iffy but the rest of the case was immaculate!

Clothes, found and bought were packed away. Mosquito coils were stashed in the pockets. Christmas presents, shells, beads, sewing things and more was placed inside and the entire thing was weighed.

24Kg!!

I repacked putting the extra 4Kg into my hand luggage and locked the case!

Did I mention it even had a usable working lock!!!

I looked at what was left on the bed. Jacket, scarves, shawls, bits and bobs. There was still a lot to wear onto the plane but at least I was ready!

I had arranged with Florence and Kevin, my cycling crew, to meet up at the Garden by the Bay for a final get together and meal, plus I still needed to return Florences cycle helmet after my rapid departure from the cycle ride. Durian had been promised/threatened and with a quick, I wont be late to Lisa I stepped out of the door.

Despite being born and raised in Singapore Kevin had never been to the light show that is shown every night at Gardens by the Bay

so for once I was able to introduce them to something special.

We walked the grounds as the sun began to set,

told more stories to each other,

posed with statues and beneath the trees until full darkness descended onto the Bay.

When the light show was about to start we took our places in the large courtyard area beneath the vertical gardens that cover the metal trees and got ready for the show.

As the introduction began I realised they had changed the theme to something different from my previous visits so I too got to enjoy the Music from around the World show for the first time as lights flashed and twinkled high above us.

Florence took a multitude of photos once more for which I was grateful as my camera just doesn't do this place justice.

With the light show complete we headed back to the MRT stopping briefly beside one of the backdrops in the huge mirrored walkway for a few more photos.

Even though both Florence and Kevin are meat eaters they had arranged to take me to a pure vegetarian restaurant for a our final meal.

Not knowing what to order I left it up to them and soon amazing dishes were arriving at our table!

Vegetarian sushi, soups, salad and more were piled around the table as we dug in with our chopsticks.

I asked questions and received a wealth of information back about each dish as we worked our way through.

Some sort of creamy hot drink was served and by the time we finished I was full to bursting point.

Unbeknown to me we were in the 'Red light' district of Singapore and following our meal we all walked the streets, me gazing at all the sights and smells while Kevin and Florence gave me explanations to all my questions along with a history of the area.

As we reached the end of the walk not far from the next MRT station we stopped for the highlight of the evening. Durian!!

All around Asia there are signs on the trains, buses and other public areas that state NO DURIAN!! The smell of these things is strong! And like Marmite, you either love it or hate it!

Not really knowing what to expect I stood quietly as they made their deal with the Durian Man.

'She never taste' they laughed as he led me to a table with a wide grin on his face.

Now that I was surrounded by the fruit I realised I quite liked the smell of durian, it was a smell that was quite familiar from my visits to the wet markets but I had never realised what it was. I was however totally unprepared for the actual fruit.

At our table the skin was split open to reveal three, what can only be described as large grubs about the size of my hand. 

A thin wrinkly skin covers the flesh and they are incredibly soft to hold.

Although the smell is OK eating a durian is like what I imagine trying to eat a huge caterpillar lava one bite at a time would be like. 

The skin splits easily leaving a gooey slimy mousse like substance in your mouth.

Determined to at least eat one I persevered as the gooey pupa like substance oozed around my mouth.

They say a picture says a thousand words!!!!

Kevin and Florence tucked in, mildly complaining to the guy that the one we had was over ripe.

He brought us another two!!!!

Although the second fruit was indeed firmer it was still none the less resembled a huge grub and no matter how much I tried it was still like eating a thin skinned caterpillar in its amalgamated pupa form!

Two sections down I gave up while Florence and Kevin finished up. 

At nearly S$50 a fruit this was not a meal to be wasted!!!

The Durian man was so proud of me for eating what I did and I was proud of me too!!

It was only after extensive goodbyes that we realised the time!

During our amazing evening the hours had slipped by and we rushed to catch the last train home.

Final goodbyes were said as I neared the place where we would separate and with a desperate rush I ran from the Green line to the Red line just catching a very full last connection. 

 I stood crammed with everyone else on the train aware my breath was durian coated, each bump causing me to burp the sweet tangy fruit back into my mouth.

Even with all the Blogs I have managed to write I have still not been able to cover all the things I did during my four months in Singapore....

As a family we spent a day at the Aquarium walking through domes of glass while sharks and rays swam over head.

I explored areas and wet markets that the tourist never sees as I shopped and lived in the heart of the city.

With Emelia I found parks and slides hidden away between the huge high rise buildings.

I went to the southern most tip of Asia,

saw light shows,

listened to carols with Santa

and even managed some therapy with Lucy!!!

Living for months at a time in one place is so different from travelling, which in itself is so different from the annual two week holiday.

I am so blessed to be able to live the life I now have and I appreciated every moment.

My time with my grandchildren had also been amazing.

Again I am so appreciative of the fact that my son in law has no problem with me staying for as long as I do each time, as Lisa said, He is happy if I am happy and right now I need you!!!

My final day we spent quietly together making cakes for the freezer. I was treated to a taxi to the airport and with a final tear I walked away from my daughter and her family.

I now had two beautiful grand daughters in my life but it would be a while before I saw them again ….. thank goodness for Whatsapp!!!


Oh by the way ….. next stop is India for TWO MONTHS!!!

Did I mention I have a blessed life??




No comments:

Post a Comment