Tuesday 19 January 2010

Training Continues - Part 15

Monday 13th April

Today started early as I reviewed my home work and re read some of the information before heading to the dive shop and harbour. Kris was waiting for me on the dive boat smiling, Matt had written me onto the board as 'MOM' much to every ones amusement!

My home work was checked as we motored out to sea, Kris and I having a difference of opinion over one of my answers before I collected my kit, putting it all together under his watchful eye. The 'O' ring was checked thoroughly, hoses were connected, gauges were checked. Satisfied with my efforts he then helped me lift the completed rig back onto the side of the boat, secured it ready for our dive and lit up a cigarette! So much for healthy divers!!

At Octopus Rock with Buddy Checks performed, we were first off the boat, my water entry being the only serious lesson to be learnt that day. It was great fun playing with buoyancy control. Deep breath in and up you go, breath all the way out and sink again. It felt totally natural to be under the water, my ears were fine, my breathing settled into a steady rhythm, Kris signalled OK and we set off over the reefs.

I'm glad Kris knew where we were going as I was totally disorientated within the first two turns. One rock looked very similar to the next, one patch of sand blending into another. There is so much to see and do underwater. I was seeing loads yet missing even more. The 40 minutes flew by, Kris signalled for our assent as I realised we were below the boat again. I was just beginning to feel a little cold and was quite glad of the warmth as we returned to the surface and the hot sun.

With air supplies changed for the next dive, I tucked into the warming pineapple and some strange white fleshed fruit that tasted a bit like Kiwi as we sailed around the bay to Moray Beach.

The second dive was fantastic. We dutifully reviewed my skills, mask removal, fin pivots, out of air and secondary air supply, then we went to play!! The Lion fish was still guarding his patch. The moray Eel did his swim past on que and now with a supply of air to maintain me I could wait outside the octopus lair for him to appear! I was so busy watching him that Kris had to physically touch me to gain my attention. A huge ball of fish circled above us as I realised it had become much darked due to their presence. It was the sort of thing you see on the TV (or in the film Saving Nemo) yet here I was, sitting below them as they moved in their slowly spinning ball. Fascinated we watched as they moved away. Kris blew some bubble rings, mine were not as good but were defiantly rings up to a distance oftwo foot – then they fell apart while Kris's rings continued up to the surface expanding in diameter yet holding their integrity.

We sat under the boat – as one does! Unfortunately the regulator doesn't work upside down which confused me at first as I knew I couldn't be out of air that soon! I checked my gauge, there was defiantly air there, I tried to breath but there was nothing there. I righted myself to signal to Kris and the air began to flow again! That was when I realised regulators don't work upside down!! Its the little things they don't tell you in the class room that makes diving interesting! Having walked from one end of the boat to the other along the hull, breathing periodically, I stopped for a photo and returned to the surface! Kit was handed up, everything was dismantled, washed and stowed before we jumped back in again for a swim!

We tried the hull walk without the aid of air. It is incredibly slippery and without the buoyancy the wet suits had given us, quite difficult to keep in contact with the boat. I made it about half way before slipping off and coming to the surface. Kris made it to the end without incident, apparently it is his party trick!!

Matt and Joe performed some incredible 'bomb' jumps, soaking our little man in his glass bottom boat as he passed. He had just finished mopping up the splashes when they did it again, this time together causing a huge splash wave to cover him! He shouted good naturedly, waving his fist at them and swinging his oar, this was a normal occurrence at the end of the day it transpired and he normally kept his distance from the Foolish Boys as he called them.

More sun was soaked up on the upper deck on the return run before we headed straight back into the classroom for our next theory lesson. Big mistake! With all our exertions and the fresh sea air of the morning we were soon nodding away from our concentration and I found myself more than once jolting back to conciousness!

By 3pm I was on the beach asleep! I woke at 4pm to find the sun had gone! Totally disorientated I looked to my side to see sunlight lighting the sand. I sat up and looked towards the sun and town. Of all the places to lie on the beach I had chosen the only spot right opposite the huge hotel on the beach front. I moved ten foot to my right, lay back down in the full sun and went back to sleep!! Diving is very tiring!!

Eventually I left the beach, completed my assigned homework and met up with Kris and the others. Matt wanted Indian so he could eat the left overs on the boat. I too thought this was a great idea. We collected JP from Rainbow Divers as we passed. He was in need of rescue he had informed Kris when he had phoned him. Unknown forces had prevented him from leaving the bar all day and food would be a welcomed change to the liquid lunch and tea so far consumed!

This time we headed upstairs, pushing two tables together to accommodate us all. Drinks and food were ordered, conversations flowed, the day was recounted for JP's amusement, hull walking was dissected into its various components and general nonsense followed. At the end of the meal Kris announced that he had no money! I do wish he had told me before I'd left the house as I only had a couple of hundred on me. JP kindly picked up Kris's remaining share of the bill. Kris suggested Guava's for after dinner drinks. We arrived like refugees with our food pots in our hands, Kris took our drink orders, anything we wanted he said, much to JP's delight – I found out that Kris runs a regular tab at Guava's at that time of each month, a useful thing when money runs out!!

Son arrived complaining Simon was in a bad mood, someone had crashed his PC while he had been away (or so he was claiming) and blood was required to sooth the beast! Two people had also cancelled last minute for a dive, further deepening his darkened mood. Kris bought Son a beer and the world looked brighter. We were home well before midnight (11.30!) our takeaways safely placed in the fridges for the morning. Life was settling into a pleasant routine of fun, food, drinks and sleep! Life was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment