Friday 22 January 2016

Christmas day in a Foreign Land


Christmas day 2015

I awoke at 5am today, to find a full moon shining in through the slatted panes of my room. 

Fully awake within moments, I reached for my camera and opened the door allowing the cool misty air into my hot sleeping space.

My attempts to photograph this wonderful sight were not the best

And with the flash on, the camera picked up the multitude of droplets that hung in the air and obliterated the sight of the moon completely!

I showered and dressed, picked up my bead bag and began to chant. 

Today was Christmas day. I had no responsibilities. 

I had no agenda to fulfil. 

The day was mine to do with whatever I wished.

I chanted for an hour, until my mind began to wander and then looked around my room.

I straightened my few things, I cleaned the bathroom.

I then swept the large reception room that my room adjoins …..

…... I then got out the mop and bucket.

So many times we feel our chores and responsibilities prevent us from doing the things that we want to do. '

If I only had time I would ….'

but today I had plenty of time, today I had no responsibilities, no chores and yet without them I felt lost!

By 8am I had finished all the cleaning, washed my dress from the day before and hung it on the line in the sun to dry.

The mist had cleared and the sun now beat down with a heat that belied the early hour.

Today would be a hot day!

In the distance I heard to rattle of pots being scrubbed in the kitchen.

Even on Christmas day people needed feeding. 

I looked for my shoes left the night before outside the front door. But they were not there?

I looked inside the doorway in case someone had moved them, but no they were definitely not around.

I looked at the dogs sleeping in the shade …... they wouldn't have … would they?

On the far side of the garden I spotted the tell tale glimpse of pink and black peeking out from beneath a bush.

I had found one of my shoes!

It was well chewed but just about wearable but I still had the other to find.

I walked around the whole garden, I walked up and down the road outside the house, I went back to the garden and began to look closer beneath the overgrown bushes until at last hidden beside a flowerpot I found the other shoe.

This one had been chewed to breaking point!

I have spent a huge amount of my life walking around bare footed.

The idea of not having shoes did not dismay me but in Malaysia the sun bakes the ground with such intensity that by noon it burns the soles of your feet as you walk.

I needed shoes!

When I had cleaned that morning I had found a nail on the floor. 

Not knowing if it would be needed I had placed it on a shelf for safe keeping. 

How little did I know at the time that barely an hour later I would be pushing the very same nail through the remains of my shoes in an attempt to sew them back together!

A length of cloth that had been used to extend one of the strings on my mosquito net was removed from the net to be used as my thread.

A hair grip found on the bathroom floor the day I arrived became my needle and an hour later I had a wearable pair of shoes again!

As I proudly walked down the hill toward the kitchen I passed Mataji on her way to the market garden.

“Yours shoes!” she remarked, “What happened?”

I explained about the dogs and she instantly insisted that I go to the supermarket with her husband when he left in ten minutes.

As a predominantly Muslim country a lot of the Malaysian shops were open and I happily agreed to go shopping.

My shoes were in fact repaired well enough to wear but they were a bit embarrassing to wear in public. 

I rushed back to the bungalow to find my bag and purse.

The road that had been build the week before I had arrived in 2014 had suffered in the heat and the rain.

The heavy lorries that have travelled its route from farm to main road, laden with supplies and cargo have done little to help matters.

Huge craters that even the lorries drive around have appeared pushing the sun softened tarmac into ridges along the sides of the road.

We manoeuvred our way along, veering from side to side until we reached the main road. 

The nearest town is about 12km away.

Mataji had brought some coconuts she wanted scraped out on the machine.

I remembered well the effort needed to scrape out the flesh from my time on Tebu and was not surprised there was a machine invented just for this purpose.

With the coconut flesh safely in bags we proceeded to the supermarket where for 18 ringits (5=£1)

I bought myself the most expensive shoes in the shop!

 For 3 ringits I could have simple plastic flip flops but I love my feet, they have carried me for 54 years and comfort can not be scrimped upon!

I also bought a rake, a sharp knife and some cherry tomatoes! 

I still had my gardening plan and now I had the tools to do it.

The cherry tomatoes were just because I could.

The cut grass around the bungalow lying on the lawn was incredibly dry with all the sun we were getting. 

The grass beneath really needed a second cut but first the lying grass needed to be removed.

Back at the bungalow and armed with my new tools I set about clearing the area. 

The sun by now was intense and I managed about half an hour before sweat poured from my body faster that I was drinking it in.

I showered and changed and decided to go for a walk instead.

The farm, I realised as I walked, has been divided up into quite diverse areas.

Mataji and her husband have, through their investment in the farm have opened up a whole series of new ways to work the land. 

Their successful market garden growing long beans,

short beans, tiny sweet tomatoes and other things that I don't know the names of has inspired others to invest and to try new things.

Two of Grandmothers sons have taken control of the area near to the buildings and rows of sweet corn now grow in segregated plots each in their own various stage of development. (Grandmother lives in the first bungalow on the hill!)

A vast sprinkler system has been installed making growing through the dry season possible.

The Devotees themselves manage the jack fruit, guava and star fruit trees on the main areas, with sugar cane dominating an entire side of the land.

Cows graze between the trees, clearing the land and enjoying the shade.

On the far side of the farm the bulls are kept separate in another overgrown tree filled area.

I wandered towards the bulls enclosure, collecting star fruit as I went.

The main crop had already been collected but the late developers now hung from the trees, ripened in the sun and waiting for someone to pick them.

I obliged and soon had a large bag filled to bursting point.

I had made a fruit salad the day before with star fruit and oranges that we had eaten in the Mataji's house in celebration of Christmas eve.

She had asked where I had found the star fruit and wondered if I could bring her a few for cooking.

I dropped the filled bag at her house as I passed and returned to my room.

The sun was now stifling, what little breeze there was could only be obtained by sitting beside an open doorway of the bungalow.

I picked up one of the four books I had chosen to study during this visit and began to read.

The stories told through the Vedas are quite amazing.

Colourful, exciting and dramatical I was hoping to incorporate some of them into my story telling at the festivals.

I re-read the story of Jagannath and then in my own words rewrote it in a form I felt would appeal to not only children but to the British public at large.

Clouds had gathered by now on the horizon and thunder could be heard rumbling away in the distance.

The rains were late this year. 

So far we had had only the sound of distant thunder to remind us of what should be. 

During my stay last winter, the rains had arrived with me and had reduced the roads into slippery sliding tracks of mud and flowing water.

I lay on my bed to rest and listened to the thunder as it approached.

A few rain drops splashed onto the hot tin roof of the bungalow echoing through the building.

I went to sit by the doorway again as a cool breeze forcefully blew the mosquito net to one side of the bed and watched as huge rain drops hit the floor with force.

The few drops became many until a proper deluge hammered down onto the tin roof deafening all conversations if one had had someone to talk to!

One of the dogs ran into my room and cowered bene
ath my bed.

Animals are not allowed in the buildings but I couldn't send her out again into this!

Thunder boomed overhead, the rain poured in torrents off the roof and onto the ground below.

The air was cool and fresh, 

I put the camera away, picked up my poem book and began to write.


“Distant thunder rolls over far away hills,
As I lie on my bed at the farm.
The mosquito net is drawn tight around,
Protecting me from bites and from harm

It is Christmas day in a foreign land
A place I have been to once before
In solitude I have spent the day
Remembering, resting and more,

I have walked through fields, collected yellow star fruit
I have raked grass and washed today's dress
In a bucket by hand with water pale brown
I've read books when the heat demanded rest.

The rain will soon fall in sheets from the sky
The thunder and lightening will crash.
And then it will all stop, as suddenly as it came
Just the rumbling thunder will last.

Life on the farm is dependant on rain
Four months of dry season must end
I lie on my bed and wait for the rain
And the soft cooling breeze it always brings.

One drop at time, drops as large as my thumb,
Begin to fall as I write.
The few become many that hammer down hard
On tin roofs, there'll be no sleep tonight.

An hour it lasts, just one hour, no more
But the soil has drunk all it can
The corn and the trees, stand washed and revived
A freshness has washed over the land.

The dog crawls out from beneath my bed
Now the force of the water is spent
She returns to the fields to hunt and explore
In darkness Christmas day, in foreign lands, comes to an end.



As darkness fell I watched the Gecko's run over the mosiqito screen on my windows.

It had been a very peaceful day, very different from the traditional excitment normally found back home and yet I had enjoyed it just as much.

Christmas day in a Foreign Land had come to an end x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment