Saturday 18 November 2017

A Day Out In Josselin


After our late evening of entertainment in the garden, Peter and I were quite happy to enjoy a quiet day wandering the streets of Josselin window shopping.

Lady Sage was parked up at the end of town in the large parking area beside the towns gardens. 

We were unsure if we would be able to find some where big enough to park my 20 foot vehicle but in the pretty flower filled car park they not only had large spaces reserved for Camper vans but they also allowed overnight stays!

With my new basket on my arm, a gift from Jan that I just love, we began our exploration down by the canal.

To say the canal walk is beautiful is to sell the entire place short!

Bridges giving amazing views of the Châteaux cross at regular intervals each covered with baskets of flowers that trail down the sides.

At one bridge the walkway goes underneath keeping pedestrian safe from any traffic they may have noted, had they needed to cross the road!

With no where to go and all day to get there Peter and I began to walk the paved pathway that runs from the Châteaux to the edge of town.

Josselin, I recently discovered is twinned with Brechin in Scotland and is built on a hill.

From its lowest part by the canal steep steps lead up into town. 

Town itself consist of a long narrow main road, with various even narrower side streets that hide away tiny boutiques.

A large open area known as the Square homes a quaint courtyard where various cafes sell coffees and crepes, glacé and gateaux as well as full scale meals under bright coloured parasols.

The Squares main purpose is to house the large and impressive church, even more impressively called the Basilica of Notre Dame du Roncier!! 

The church was build in the 11th century but was added to quite regularly until the 15th century where it reached the size it is today.

Legend has it that in 808, a farmer, who cultivated the land where the church now stands, found a statue of the Virgin Mary in some brambles. He took the statue home with him, but it miraculously returned to the place where he had found it. This happened several times and, soon after, the Bishop of Aleth authorised Christians to pray to her. The farmer's daughter, blind from birth, regained her sight. Word spread and pilgrims flocked to the town.

I put my head inside to gaze down the vast interior looking in amazement at the vast arches and columns.

Incredible stain glass windows told stories of the famous statue as well as other stories.

Once more I wished I could read French!

At the back of the church is the bell tower which is open to the public each day.

Emily had recommended this as a 'Must Do' while in town and so with eagerness I stepped inside.
For a small donation you can climb the 138 steps that wind their way up to the arched spire passing the great bell as you go.

Writing covers the bell but you are not allowed into the area to read it so you will just have to look at the photo I took by sticking my hand through the grating!!

From the top the views are amazing and although the climb was steep it was well worth the effort.

I called to Peter who having seen the width of the passage way that led to the top had waited for me at the bottom!

I am not saying Peter is a huge guy but there were times when my elbows nearly touched both walls as I climbed the spiralling narrow steps and if I had met someone coming the other way one of us would have needed to back track!

From this height you can really appreciate the roof of the church. 

It is quite remarkable and it made all the gargoyles that spouted water onto the streets below make much more sense. 

Huge amounts of water must run down these slopes when it rains. Water that is funnelled into the dips where the gargoyles them launch at least 4 foot from the church walls.

When you think you have reached the top there is still much more above you as the spire reaches to the heavens above.

My solitude was broken with the arrival of another panting tourist who kindly took my photo as they got their breath back!

From the north opening I spotted the water tower beside Ronnies home and for once was able to get my bearings. 

Then with nothing left to photograph I began the long journey back down.

If anything, climbing down was harder than going up. 

Going up you concentrate only on the step ahead of you with your vision straight ahead.

Going down the floor spirals out of sight and as I continued my decent an incredible dizzy feeling washed over me and I was quite glad I could touch both walls with ease!

When I returned to the bottom Peter decided I was in need of a reward and we headed to the square to treat ourselves to ice-cream passing as we did a great photo opportunity!

Made from cardboard and paper and free to use (although they do ask you to credit them when you pop it onto Facebook or any other social media) this medieval dress complete with head dress was just perfect place to pose!

Peter we decided makes a wonderful lady!!!

Sun poured into the square as we decided which of the many cafés to sit at. 

Waiters rushed back and forth rearranging tables and seating people and soon we were tucking into various coffees as Peter repeatedly tried to order a large black coffee only to be served tiny cups of super strong black caffeine while I tucked into some well deserved ice cream and crepes!

As we walked down one of the side streets from the square we passed a fabulous little doorway that led down a few steps into to a tiny shop. 

Various pieces of art were displayed as were scarves, hats and other tourist orientated stock but there beside the windows was a collection of beautiful and intricately designed pocket watches that had been turned into necklaces!!

I looked lovingly at them as Peter looked around the rest of the shop. 

I hate wearing a watch and feel tied to my phone when I need to keep track of time, one of these I reasoned would be not only beautiful but also practical!! 

Peter, having received one of my winning smiles, bought it for me!! 

I do love that man!!

With my newly acquired pendant, a full stomach of dessert and Peter full of coffee we walked past the stunning tourist office and back towards Lady Sage.

We stopped at the supermarket to stock up with essential supplies before our trip to the South in the morning. 

Once more Lady Sage bulged at the seams with fresh tomatoes, bread and wine to see us through the next few days.......

....... although we did manage to yet again put quite a big dent in our wine stores as we spent yet another night watching shooting stars before we retired to bed with blurry eyes!!

Boy, does my family like to watch the stars!!!



Many Thanks to the people on Google Images whose photos I have supplemented this Blog with, I really must remember to take more photos!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice one, it brings back memories of my 2009 visit. Climbed the tower, did the canal and had ice cream. Well done. X

    ReplyDelete