Wednesday 18 February 2015

Blog 11 - Time to leave the Farm



The evening after our epic chip making day, our new arrivals stayed up late watching a video. I was now sharing a room with the two girls and with their late arrival back into the room after watching the film in the boys room, I didn't make it to Arti that morning, nor did I make it to the kitchen.

I had another week at the Farm, or so I thought, so I would have plenty of time to make up for my decadent lie in.

At breakfast, however, it was announced that the four new comers and myself would all be heading back to Kuala Lumpa that afternoon!!!!

I asked Gopesa the reasons why I needed to go so soon, I knew there was a festival in KL on the 3rd and I had planned to leave the Farm then but he just smiled and said  that Simheswara had asked for me go to the temple today!

I packed my things and began my rounds of goodbyes. I felt I had done so little during my time at the Farm but I had also made some good friends.

In the kitchen Ganesh and I shared e-mail addresses and gifts.

It had been such a pleasure to help in the kitchen with the others, chanting and laughing each morning as we packed the workers breakfasts.

His gift of the CD we had listened to each day would remind me always of my time there.

In the Chip factory I said goodbye to 'Little Prabu'. He too had become a friend of morning smiles and appreciation.

I gave away my fresh fruit to the wonderful old lady on the hill who had worried about me getting wet each day, and to Prabu in the next room. Prabu had fallen from the roof of the building we lived in during its construction. He had broken his back and lost the use his legs yet he had been such a positive presence in the block despite his accident.

With my bag packed I joined the others for a tour of the farm that until now had been impossible due to the weather.

As we piled into the truck Gopesa explained the workings of the Farm.

For a man, that until now had been a man of few words, he was eloquent with his stories and a mine of information about the practices used.

He explained the difference between the heavy root watering of a Jack Fruit tree in comparison to the drip watering of a Guava tree. We were given a demonstration on how to cover the Guava fruits to protect them as well as details on how to look after the tree.

At the cow stall he explained in detail how the fertilizer that was used all over the farm was made.

At the moment they are running an experiment to see which combination of ingredients works best on the trees.

Once the formula had been perfected, full time production would take place freeing them from the use of brought in fertilizer.

From the cow stalls we headed out into the fields where the trees I had wondered about were explained and tasted.

Eventually, and with great excitement, we headed to the sugar can processing plant!

We had been drinking the sugar cane juice either straight from the freezers or fresh during our time at the Farm but now we were going to see how this incredibly sweet liquid was processed into its bottles.

Sugar cane will grow for about five years before it needs to be replanted.

Until that time the mother plant can be coppiced of her canes without any damage to the main plant. These canes are then chopped and fed through the crusher where the juice is squeezed out into a large vat.

Passed through a series of filters this wonderful natural liquid is then poured into bottles where it will keep for up to twenty four hours.

To lengthen its life span the bottles at the Farm are frozen until needed giving chilled and refreshing juice any time we want it!

The sugar cane beds were level with the naturally filling lake in the low lands. When needed a gravity release could water vast areas of crops but with all the heavy rain we had been receiving they had the problem of too much water!

Isolated from TV and papers we were not aware, at this point, of the extent of the damage done by the floods in the area. We had needed to come back to the Farm from Klang the long way as the free-way was closed due to water but even though we had been rained upon every day since my arrival, the damage was not too sever at the Farm.

Sugar cane beaten to the floor by the storms was in the process of being tied to supports or harvested to turn it into juice.

It wasn't until we left the Farm did we learn about the devastation the floods caused as they washed across Malaysia.

Although I had been at the Farm for two weeks (admittedly with six days off for Rathyatra's!) I learnt more during our hour tour with Gopesa than I had learnt the whole time I had helped out.

For a man of few words he explained the running and dreams of the Farm with clear and detailed explanations and I left the Farm truly enlightened.

With supplies for the temple and our bags stuffed in any available gap plus SIX people to transfer, the truck was extremely well packed as we left the dirt track of the Farm. Gopesa put on my favourite track and feeling a wee bit guilty about the space I had to myself up front, while the others squished together in the back, we headed for KL.

The two girls and guys were dropped by one of the main bus stops so they could reach the place where they planned to party the New Year in and Gopesa and I continued to the temple.

I was to be here for a week and as yet I had no idea what was expected of me or for that matter what I would do for a whole week. The Kuala Lumpa Rathyatra wasn't until the 3rd of January and today was only the 30th of December 

(yes I know I am rather behind with these Blogs!!).

Prasadam was being served just as we arrived and I was sent off to get my lunch while Gopesa delivered the juice and chips. 

Simheswara appeared just as I was finishing and explained that there was going to be a program at the temple for the New Year plus a Rathyatra in Melaka on the 1st as well as the Kuala Lumpa one on the 3rd.

I was invited to relax and enjoy my time at the temple and was free to come and go as much as I wished!

The female ashram was unfortunately full so I was invited to board with the Mataji and her daughter who ran the ashram, staying in her private quarters.

My duties while I worked this part of my 'Workaway' posting? 


To eat prasadam and to take association with other devotees while attending festivals!!


This was going to be a challenging and complicated assignment lol!!!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment