Friday 20 February 2015

Blog 13 Celebrations in Melaka



Having access to the internet at the KL temple allowed me to catch up with the outside world. I sent messages to those back home and then received a lovely one from Alex who had spent the first week with me at the Farm. 

She was working a Workaway in Melaka and had seen the posters for the Rathyatra. Hoping that we could meet up she sent me a message asking if I would be there.

I replied that I would love to see her and we arranged to meet up at the rear of the chariot.

As I sat waiting at the temple I realised that I was not exactly sure where Melaka was. For that matter Penang, Georgetown, and Lanchang were just places I had been to without really knowing their precise location!

I google searched the map of Malaysia and was amazed to discover just how much travelling I had done!!

I studied the maps for about an hour as people departed in mini-buses and cars. My lift had been arranged by Simheswara but again I realised I didn't know exactly who I was going with! Control of my life had been passed over to the Universe and in a relaxed sort of way the Universe was doing a great job.

My lift arrived in a shining new car with air conditioning and exquisite internal designs. A huge array of buttons and lights adorned the dashboard while the softest of carpet lay under my feet. I settled to enjoy the hour drive to Melaka chatting with my host of life and beliefs.

At Melaka I discovered a slight flaw with my plans to meet up with Alex. THREE large chariots were parked outside the temple as devotees chanted and danced in anticipation to the Deities arrival.

Melaka or Malacca was founded by Parameswara, the last Raja of Singapura (present day Singapore) Following an attack by the Majapahit in 1377, he found his way to Malacca around 1400.

According to a popular legend, Parameswara was resting under a tree near a river during a hunt, when one of his dogs cornered a mouse deer. In self-defence, the mouse deer pushed the dog into the river. Impressed by the courage of the deer, and taking it as a propitious omen of the weak overcoming the powerful, Parameswara decided then and there to found an empire on that very spot. He named it 'Melaka' after the tree where he had just taken shelter at, the Melaka Tree.

The streets are narrow and enchanting and due to its wonderful history the entire Old Town is protected from development. Towering buildings surround the old town but hidden in its mists you feel like you are in a different world.

Signs adorn the roads banning drinking and smoking on the streets. Craft shops cram local and imported arts into impossibly small areas.

Suddenly in the mists of the crowds and chariots Alex appeared beaming her incredible smile! The guest house she was working at was opposite the Temple and she had spotted me before I was even aware of her presence.

We hugged and laughed about the way Krsna kept involving her in his festivals, we filled in the gaps of our time apart, talked about our plans for the next week, sang and swayed with the dancing devotees before with a final hug, Alex returned to her guest house.

Her Workaway shift was 6pm to 11pm each evening and as the opening ceremony came to its conclusion and the chariots began to move, she returned to direct more of the Hostels guests to the party outside.

With three chariots to chose from I wandered from one to one as the procession wound its way along the narrow roads.

The Russian devotees were once again leading a huge San Kirtan by Jagannaths chariot.

Smaller groups played enthusiastically before Subahdra and Baladeva.

Groups of ladies danced in front of Subahdra swaying gracefully in their beautiful saris.

I had treated myself to cartels (hand cymbols) and joined in with the music, stopping from time to time to help with the distribution of the prasadam tapioca chips and nuts.

The giving of prasadam is always a highlight of the procession and knowing I had helped slightly in its production gave me a warm glow.

As evening fell the chariots lights shone out illuminating the area and faces of the dancing congregation. Although the route around the old town was not extensive, the roads were incredibly narrow in places and the procession progressed slowly.

Every twenty meters the entire procession came to a halt as shop keepers offered trays overflowing with gifts.

Tiny toddlers had been dressed as Krsna and were held up to see the Deities as we passed.

Every road we traveled along had the no smoking signs and I realised that there was no where in the old town that allowed public smoking!

Public drinking was also frowned upon!

We passed along a wide avenue filled with illuminated bicycle rickshaws all of which blasted out music from the most recent films.

The theme to Frozen was popular as was the classic song Small World but at the volumes at which they were being played, no one could distinguish between each song until a cacophony of sounds filled the air.

The drums and chanting of the procession added to the noise and when the fireworks started I felt my hearing would never be the same again!

At the large staged area in the park the chariots were lined up as each became a stage in its own right.

More offerings were made and continued to be made throughout the evening, while on stage beautiful girls in beautiful costumes, performed beautiful dances full of stories and songs.

I ate my fill of prasadam, I filled my heart with music, I filled my senses with celebrations.


Four Rathyatras in just over two weeks and I still had the Kuala Lumpa one to come!!



How Blessed was I!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment