Saturday 28 February 2015

Blog 19 Little India and Away



It was another twenty four house before Lisa, Steve and Emelia arrived home.

By then I had washed everything I could wash. Had rehung the curtains in the lounge, filled the cupboards with things I thought they might need and cleared my room.

My back pack lay to one side as they arrived.

Emelia was beautiful, as any good grand parent would agree.

Lisa and Steve settled together in their new home with their new child and while they began the long process of notifying friends and family,

I set out for another adventure.

I am getting quite good at this lift photography lol )

During my weekend stay with the mataji's I had checked out a few hostels within my price range. The Prince of Wales had not only come up trumps in price but also cleanliness.

In true Welsh tradition the hostel was housed above the bar.

Never let it be said that the Welsh will not look after its inebriated!

Stairs led to a small landing where, to the left, two private rooms with attached bathroom stood. To the right a twelve bed dorm, divided into fours and with a great sitting are awaited me.

I dropped my bags to the floor and decided what to do for a week.

My first visit was to the temple where luckily a program was being held. Usually during the week the place is quiet as devotees go about their usual working lives. There would be no more programs now until the weekend.

I spent a day writing Blogs in the outside breakfast/bar area, utilizing the free Wifi to load picture after picture to the internet.

I popped over to visit baby and co and to swim in the cool complex pool.

By Friday I was bored!




*****************

There have been many times in my life when I have simple just wanted to escape the trappings of everyday routines.

I ran away to Moorea to live in a tropical paradise, I ran away to India to explore the sacred temples, I have run away to Vietnam, Bahamas and Egypt to dive amongst some of the wonders of the ocean.

I sat by the bar and searched through the 'Places to go around Singapore' web page looking for ideas and inspiration for a quick week away while Lisa and Steve enjoyed their private bonding time with little Emelia.

At this point I had no idea of the very existence of Langkawi. 

The little dots in the ocean off the coast of Malaysia and Thailand didn't even have names on most of the maps I had looked at.

As each location that offered sea and sun came up on the web page, I google searched it for more details. 

The Philippines were inviting but plane fares were around S$350, Bali could be reached for a mere S$250. I searched for flight details on Langkawi, a plane trip would cost me S$65!!! (£33)

I Google searched the internet for more details on this previously unknown (to me) island. 

Cursed with seven generations of bad luck after a tribal chief had killed his pure and faithful wife, (after he was told false stories about her unfaithfulness,) the island had remained largely unknown and underdeveloped until the curse had been lifted this very century!

It was currently undergoing a huge transformation of development under the careful and visionary eye of the president. 

The story goes that he spent a fortune installing a tsunami barrier and warning system that many people thought was a waste of money and resources.

When the tsunami hit in 2004 the airport as well as many important installations were saved and his foresight was hailed as miraculous.

Japanese scientists have allegedly asked for his brain after he dies to study the intricate workings of a man who has taken a country from a cursed unknown area to the prosperous Island it is becoming today.

Half an hour away from Kuala Lumpa by plane or an hour and a half from Singapore the island was now receiving much welcomed tourist trade.

I searched the Workaway web site looking for any opportunities to work for my keep.

Come and help us clean our beach in Pulau Tebu, Langkawi read the page. I scanned down the description.

The e-mail I sent asking if they still needed help was answered within the hour with a resounding YES!

I then spoke to Lisa and Steve about going away for the week.

Emelia's new born jaundice look was fading and they were enjoying their time together.


I booked my flight!



No comments:

Post a Comment